Thursday, June 19, 2008

We tripped and we are back

We are back and in one piece. Thank the Lord!
We had a very close call on the way home which left me trembling and crying and feeling like I was about to get sick the rest of the way home.
We had just left Calgary and came to a small intersection where a few cars ahead of us were turning. We stayed in the rt lane as they went into the turning lane but slowed a little.
A truck came up to the intersection at the same time but didn't see past the turning vehicles and pulled out right in front of us trying to cross the highway. 
Once into the lane he looked left and saw us and stopped. Dave slammed on the brakes and swerved to the left just missing the front of his truck and nearly putting us up on two wheels. We could have rolled or hit the ditch but managed to stay on the road.
If the guy hadn't stopped in the right lane or Dave hadn't had enough sleep I wouldn't be writing this.
I have heard that in the face of death your life flashes before your eyes.
I saw the end. I screamed and yelled, "Noooooooo!" with my hand stretched out in front of me. 
I thought that was it.
Still makes me cry, here I go.
Thank you Lord for protecting us and guiding Dave's hands, I am so grateful!

Now that I got all the sap out here is the fun part!

A recap of our little trip back to Alberta.

We kept real busy and visited a bunch of friends.
The kids and I met up with some old playdate friends while Dave dropped off the painting.
We stopped by the old neighbors, checked out our old house,  missed it, but only for a moment and then swung by to see Marion.
She amazes me! At 93 she is as active and bright as someone half her age. 
Our last outing in Edmonton was to the Valley Zoo.
Kaitlyn wasn't so sure about seeing an elephant in real life. "Too big."
However she was quite excited to take a ride on the train. Ethan was quite clear with his "eh's" that he only wanted to watch.

Back at Grandma and Grandpa Grumpy's the kids rode bikes while we hung out visiting family.


Sharing some loves before saying goodbye.
On the way down to Calgary we stopped to see the Great A's.

Kaitlyn sang to Great Grandma.
And Ethan squirmed away from Great Grandpa. He played a lot of shy on this trip. 
Once in Calgary the kids got busy with the rocking horse.
Grandma and I got busy with a glass of wine and a little soak in the sun.
Ethan played this really old Pachinko game over and over.
And checked himself out in the big mirrors.
We all took turns driving Grandma's summer car. It had been six years since I drove a stick. It was addictive. I think I need one. Someday.
While we were there we all read this article in the paper about striving to be too perfect and within it there was this little blurb. (click image to view larger if you want to read it)
The article stemmed from the recent tragedy just a few blocks over from Dave's parents place.
This family seemed like the perfect family on the outside but had scheduled every part of their lives into 30 min intervals to keep it ticking as they liked. Once it cracked, they didn't recover.

The thing is that I think we all strive for perfection in one way or another. 
A clean house, mowed lawn, pretty flowers, good kids and a hot meal on the table seems to be the image that we are bombarded with. This is what so many of us strive for. 
Why?
Is that the be all end all?
What about our mental health and relationships?
What really matters?

Way off topic now but this came to mind while thinking about mental health.
I have this dream of adopting a family of orphans but when it comes down to it this is what we have come to.
First of all I have a tough enough time with our two.
Enough said there!
However, for arguments sake....... They may live in a country filled with poverty and sickness but they have a simple happiness in their close communities and way of life. Do we take them out of that and plop them into the crazy high stress world we live in?
Or do we support them where they are by helping to build villages and provide water, education, food and drugs?
We may not have the sickness, war or poverty but our mental health is what ends up suffering.
Anyway that was way off topic but it is something we debate a lot about.

Stuff to think about.

Back to our trip.

At the mirror. They love daddy's hat.
Poppa's flower.
And back on the road again.
This time with many stops.
Kailtyn figured out how to get out of her seat. "I have to pee, I have to poop!"
We stop and she gets a potty break. Every few minutes. She is smart!
Back home with a few new purchases in tow.
A little retro shag and polka dots.

We wanted change and color. We got it. We love it.
And we are glad to be home safe. The trip was great, seeing family was so nice but getting back into our own little routine is nice too. 
.hjnjnm, (that was Kaitlyn saying 'hi')

14 comments:

mamatucci said...

First off, glad u all are home safe. Those kind of things are so scary,especially with kids in the car.
Second, I love the orange shag. I am really loving orange right now.
It is fun visiting, but usally nice to get home too. We are off to BC next month, for 3 weeks!
Matteo went through a shy stage probably right around Ethans age,when we visited BC and Joes family.He was much more out going the next time.

Anonymous said...

Oh Anna, thank God you are all safe! How scary that must have been for you guys. I am so glad things turned out the way they did.
And I'm glad you had a nice trip, the photos are all fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Anna, Thank goodness, God was watching you that day. We had a similar close call that left me shaken and upset for a whole weekend. It was only because both Hubby and I were watching the guy speed up and fly (I mean FLY) through an intersection on the RED that we did not get hit. Both Apple and I would have taken the hit dead on had we finished our turn. Thankfully God was there with us.

Glad the rest of your trip was wonderful, it is great to see family and be restored. Your new rugs are fun and will add some punchy colour to your days :)

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great trip except for that near miss. At least it was just that, a miss! Thank God!

You know, I have a cousin that lives outside of Edmonton in St. Albert, Alberta. I've been up there once - it's so beautiful there...

Love the rugs!

Kori said...

I am glad you are all okay; blessings abound. and I read that story? TOO SAD.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Wow, I am SO glad Dave slammed on the breaks, Thank Heavens. How terrifying!

What a trip! You must be exhausted from having so much fun and catching up with so many friends and family.

Now it's my turn! Next week?

HotRodHanna said...

Thank the Lord you are all safe! Sometimes I am convinced we have angels driving around with us. Looks like your trip was lots of fun otherwise! I really like what you did with the black and white pictures, very cool.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Shuddering... Glad you're ok. Those close calls are horrible and will stay with you for a long time. You can definitely use it as a jumping board for putting your perspectives back in check. I know I am CONSTANTLY trying to keep myself grounded.

SO glad you guys are ok.

Madame Bluestocking said...

I love your long, picture-ful, neighborly-chat posts. I miss you!
XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are back safe and sound! I have had a couple close calls like that, both with semi's! Pretty scary.

It sounds like you had a pretty eventful, fun filled trip. We plan to return to calgary at the beginning of August for a trip.

Anyway, we have missed you. Hope we can have a play date soon. Email me.

MJ said...

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound and counting your blessings. I always find near-misses as opportunities to count blessings and a time to re-evaluate things. I see I'm not alone!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness your near accident sounds so scary!!

I just have to tell you that you and your daughter are both just so adorable. And your haircut, I LOVE it! Super chic!

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. It looks like you had a ton of fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
when I talked to you, you never told me about the near miss. I am so happy that everything is okay. I was in an accident in Kelowna. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
I so enjoyed spending time with my kids and grandkids. Thank you for making it possible. I love you all!
grandma

Unknown said...

THAT'S a lot of visiting...so glad you all made it home safely!!!