Monday, September 14, 2009

Farewell to a dear friend


Yesterday I lost one of my best friends. She was 94 years old.
My heart is heavy but I also know that she is with her Lord and Saviour and that is where she has longed to be for many years.
I owe credit in bunch loads to this woman for inspiring and helping me to grow into the person I am now. She taught me so much about unconditional love and acceptance and grace and patience and dedication and has for the last 10 years held a very deep and special place in my heart.
I don't even know where to start with describing what she meant to me. I know she wouldn't want the world to know all her trials so I'll just brief a bit of it.

She was amazing! Done.
Ok, well, this is tough, (swallowing hard) I just know words wont get out what I feel.

Marion lived a very full life. She had office jobs and dental nurse jobs, was a technician (just like me) and was an artist. She painted around the world and I LOVE her work! Especially this one of the ocean, it is so raw and endless. Oh and the one that she did overlooking a bay with a building on the cliff in the distance, she captured the warm sun glow perfectly! She never raved about herself and was so meek about it but she really was so talented. She did silk screening and did her own dark room developing of photography. She created stunning pergamano cards and had the most incredible unique stone jewelry.
She raised her two children while traveling and being a busy forces wife and still managed to be creative.

In her 70's or 80's, I cannot remember now, but she walked the wall of China and went to the Amazon! She grabbed moments and took trips. She did things she wanted to and pursued her interests. She never let herself get 'old' and was always active, even driving her own car up until a few years ago. I want to be like her!
In so many ways I felt that we were kindred hearts. We would sit and talk about growing up in the meeting (church) and read and sing together. Then over a cup or 4 of tea and cookies we would and talk and talk about anything from marriage and relationships to art techniques, child raising, flowers and politics.
There was not a topic we didn't broach, well, ok, maybe a few but what I am saying is that we had an open relationship. It was so liberating and relaxed. I never felt that there were over 60 years between us. It was just a really easy friendship. Gaaa, I loved that woman!

There is more but I am a little emotional so that is all for now.
Tonight I am raising my glass to Marion!

xoxo

13 comments:

bethany said...

So very sorry for your loss. It hurts, hugs to you. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of her, she sounds like a delightful woman and kindred spirits are rare and treasured.

mamatucci said...

Sorry about your friend,sh sounded lovely

Sandy said...

So sorry for your loss, hugs to you. Marion sounds like a remarkable woman.

Jen Wilson said...

So sorry for your loss :(

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

What an amazing woman! What a blessing to have her friendship. So sorry for your loss.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounds like a wonderful, amazing woman.

Unknown said...

Anna, thanks so much for your wonderful capturing of Mom. As I was helping care for her on the hospice unit during the last 2 weeks of her life, I reminisced aloud, reminding her of all the many and varied things she'd tackled in her life--travel, many art and craft forms, formal and informal learning (e.g., dye transfer at the Banff Centre with a group of men--she loved that!), her generosity of spirit, always-open door, hospitality...and I could go on a lot longer. She also enjoyed having young women like yourself as friends; she didn't like hanging around with "old" people! She lived life to the full. Thanks so much for remembering Mom, Marion, in this lovely way. Sincerely, Barbara (Marion's daughter).

BeachMama said...

Oh Anna, so sorry for your loss. You paid her a beautiful tribute. Just reading your words makes me feel like I knew her just a little as I have seen her in you.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you lost your friend but I'm sure Heaven is so happy to have her. What a special relationship...

Anonymous said...

Sweetie,

I am so sorry to here about Marion. I know how much you loved her. Remember her with your heart. She will always be there.

Aunty

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I am so happy for you that you had her in your life! She sounds like a wonderful woman and I know she will be hugely missed. What a fabulous tribute to her life, to know that the hole she leaves behind cannot be filled by another.

You have my love. I'm sorry for your loss, but so happy for your friendship!

lynne said...

Anna, I am so sorry you have lost a friend I am sure you often will be lonely for her. But, my what a life she led. What a true inspiration to have in your life. Her love for you and the life lessons she taught you will resonate throughout your life.

I am sorry I have not commented for a while. Hugs xxx

The Chatty Housewife said...

What a beautiful woman! I am sad to have never met her. She is such an inspiration even through this one post. For some reason the Buzz Lightyear quote keeps coming into my mind; "Reach for the stars! To infinity and beyond!" It is amazing what can be accomplished in one life when one sets their mind to it. And to do it all with the Love of the Lord Jesus in your life is amazing.